Medical courses are usually very expensive especially in a country with some of the best universities in the world. The schools in Canada offer top-notch education to students. For medical students, it has become a favourite ground for students from different parts of the world.
The best part is that there are lots of medical scholarships available for students who wish to pursue a medical course in Canada. This article lists the top medical scholarships available for international students in Canada.
A lot of us witnessed or heard about the outbreak of SARS in 2003, the H1N1 flu in 2009, and the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020, there has been significant growth in the medical field across the world. Canada, not being an exception, has pulled medical students from all over the world to assist in the control of the pandemic.
A lot of universities in Canada are listed in well-known international databases, and the Canadian Department of Education’s current education program emphasises increasing the number of international students.
To that effect, numerous Canadian universities and the Canadian government have approved lots of medical school scholarships to attract more international students to study medicine in Canada for free. This is a great opportunity for international students from developed and developing countries to study medicine in Canada for free.
An adequate scholarship helps a student get admitted to a Canadian medical school and graduate with top-notch grades. As a result, they will also be awarded the best scholarships that will allow them to finance their studies and life after graduation.
Therefore, this article gives an insight into some of the best medical scholarships available for international students in Canada.
Why Study Medicine in Canada?
Canada is known to be a major destination for international students but below are other reasons why studying medicine in Canada is the best:
- Canada is home to an adverse cultural style.
- Secondly, the country has one of the lowest crime rates in the world. Invariably what this means is that you’re safe in Canada.
- Canadian universities that provide medicine and associated courses have standard and up-to-date research facilities and equipment. This allows medical students to learn better.
- Also, Canada is home to world-class and top-ranking universities in the world.
- In addition, there are varieties of med schools and scholarships for international students in Canada.
Schools that offer medical scholarships to international students in Canada
Canada is one of the most developed countries in the world with top institutions that offers world-class education. Their educational system is regarded as one of the best in the world.
Talking about Canada’s medical schools, a lot on the list offers free scholarships to help international students study medicine for free. Below is a list of universities that offer free and sometimes fully funded medicine scholarships to students from developing countries:
- The University of Waterloo
- McGill University Canada
- University Of Toronto Canada
- Quest University Scholarship
- The University of Manitoba
- York University
- The University of Carleton
- University of British Columbia
- The University of Alberta
- University of Prince Edward Island
- Brandon University
- University of Guelph
- Mount Saint Vincent University
- FULLY FUNDED PHD SCHOLARSHIP CANADA
- Scholarships to Fund Your Study in Canada
- East Tennessee State University Scholarships USA
- Australia Scholarships For International Students
- Berea College Scholarships USA
Top Medical Scholarships for International Students in Canada
1. Cumulative Annual Average Entrance Scholarship: Cumulative annual average entrance scholarship is offered by the University of Toronto and McGill University. It provides $15,000 CAD per year to each successful applicant. These are considered renewable awards and only applicants who have earned an admission offer can apply for them.
2. Viterbi Scholarship: The Viterbi scholarship is also awarded to outstanding international students at UBC, Simon Fraser University, McMaster University, Université de Montréal, Université Laval, Université de Sherbrooke, Université de Moncton, Concordia University, Dalhousie University, Ryerson University, Western University, Memorial University of Newfoundland, York University, Queen’s University, Saint Mary’s University, Wilfrid Laurier University, Bishop’s University, York University, Ryerson University, Mount Allison University, Wilfrid Laurier University, Queen’s University, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. Michael’s College, McMaster University, Bishop’s University, Western University, Université de Montréal, Concordia University, Dalhousie University, McMaster University
3. Victoria Mather Medical Research Award: This award is given to excellent international students at Dalhousie University, Memorial University of Newfoundland, Bishop’s University, and Ryerson University. The grant covers tuition fees for four years and $2000 annually for living expenses. This award is open to all eligible applicants regardless of their nationality.
4. Baker Hughes Scholarships: These are two major scholarships at Dalhousie University. One is given to outstanding international students in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) disciplines and the other one is given to those students in social sciences and arts and humanities.
Both grants provide financial assistance for undergraduate study in any faculty at Dalhousie University. The Baker Hughes Scholars receive a stipend of $32,000 CAD annually and an additional $7,000 CAD per year towards research expenses. The annual funding will be provided for up to 4 years of study at Dalhousie University. This scholarship covers tuition fees and provides minimum annual funding of $28,000 CAD for the successful applicant.
5. Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan: This is a prestigious program that offers many benefits to outstanding international students who wish to pursue postgraduate studies in Canada.
A merit-based scholarship scheme is designed to assist those who want to further their education in Canada by studying at one of the select academic institutions across the country. Successful applicants receive financial support from the Government of Canada and from private-sector donors to fund their tuition fees and living expenses during their studies.
6. Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute Scholarship: This is an educational program offered by the Indian Government for Indians wishing to study in Canada. It offers generous scholarships for post-graduate studies at top universities across Canada. Successful applicants are provided with full or partial tuition fee scholarships, plus living expenses and health insurance for up to three years.
7. Canadian Chiropractic Association: This is a well-known private charitable organisation that provides generous grants to Indian students interested in studying chiropractic medicine in Canada. They also offer fully-funded training courses for registered nurses.
8. Master Card Scholarship: University of Toronto:
This is another medical school scholarship for international students who want to go to a med school in Canada. To apply, you must be from a sub-Saharan African country. All applicants must be willing to study at the University of Toronto.
Also, it must be an undergraduate program in the Health field and other fields of study. Additionally,
all applicants who have been offered the MasterCard Scholarship at the University of Toronto will receive:
- A scholarship equivalent to the costs related to attaining a Bachelor’s degree.
- Also, the scholarship will cover travel, tuition, textbooks, housing, food, and living expenses.
- Financial, academic, social, and post-graduation support.
- Also, all recipients will have access to two unpaid internships. The first is for 3 months in the Toronto area during your second summer to provide local practical work experience and skills. However, the” second internship will take place in Africa during your third summer.
- In addition, some funds will be made available to you for a passport, if you do not own one.
9. Canadian Government Scholarship: The Canadian Government scholarship is another scholarship that offers international students an opportunity to study medicine in Canada for free.
This medical school scholarship is usually the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship in Canada and it is open to Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada, and international students.
However, it’s only open to these sets of persons above who are pursuing graduate studies in health, social sciences and/or humanities, natural sciences and/or engineering. Usually, this scholarship is worth $50,000 per year.
10. Chevening Scholarships in Canada: Chevening’s inclusion in this list might shock a lot of people. Chevening affords many international students who are willing to go to medical school in Canada an opportunity to study on scholarships.
Note that, only students who want to pursue postgraduate studies in medicine can apply for the Chevening Scholarship in Canada.
All applicants who are selected for this Chevening Scholarship in Canada will receive:
- A monthly stipend
- An arrival allowance
- The University tuition fees
- The cost of one visa application
- Travel costs to and from Canada
- A homeward departure allowance
- A travel grant to attend Chevening events in Canada